Dr. Selina Olthof
|Phone:||+49-221 470 - 4463|
|Fax:||+49-221 470 - 5144|
My research interest is centered around novel organic semiconductors, based on organic molecules as well as hybrid perovskites. These materials hold great potential for the use in next generation energy related applications such as light-emitting diodes and photovoltaics, as well as electronic applications like transistors and memory devices.
In these multilayered structures, charge transport barriers between the different semiconductors or to the inorganic contact materials play a crucial role for the device performance. Therefore, my research is focus on measuring, understanding, and influencing the energetic properties and the alignment at interfaces using photoelectron spectroscopy. I want to correlate findings regarding the energetic properties with the electronic performance and device characteristics. Furthermore, I investigate the concept of controlled molecular doping in organic semiconductors, which makes it possible to improve the film and device performance due to the passivation of unwanted trap states, the increase in film conductivity, and the possibility to control the Fermi level position.
|Since 11/2012||University of Cologne, Junior researcher (Habilitand) at the Institute for Physical Chemistry in the group of Prof. Klaus Meerholz. Head of the Surface Science Laboratory.|
|01/2018 – 06/2018|
Technical University Dresden, Eleonore Trefftz Visiting Professor at the Center for Advancing Electronics Dresden (cfaed) and Dresden Integrated Center for Applied Physics and Photonic Materials (IAPP).
|10/2010 - 09/2012|
Princeton University, DAAD Fellowship Post-Doc position at the Department of Electrical Engineering with Prof. Antoine Kahn.
|09/2006 – 06/2010|
Technical University Dresden, PhD studies at the Institut für Angewandte Photophysik in the group of Prof. Karl Leo. PhD thesis: Photoelectron Spectroscopy on Doped Organic Semiconductors and Related Interface.
|01/2005 – 03/2006|
Max-Planck-Institute for Solid State Research, in the group of Prof. Klaus Kern. Diplomarbeit (Master Thesis) on the topic. Rastertunnelmikroskopie und –spektroskopie an Halbleiternanostrukturen (English: Scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy of semiconductor nanostructures).
|08/2003 – 05/2004|
NUI Maynooth, Erasmus Fellowship for a two semester studying abroad in Maynoot, Ireland.
|2000 – 2006||University of Stuttgart, Studying physics with focus on astrophysics, particle physics, and nanotechnology.|
Grants and Awards
|Gaede Preis||Price is given by the German Physics Society (DPG) for outstanding research in the field of fundamental and vacuum based science|
|Eleonore Trefftz fellowship||Visiting Professorship (6 months) at the Technical University Dresden (cfaed/iapp)|
|QM2 Independence Grant|| |
Funding through the German excellence initiative, supporting young researchers at the University of Cologne
|Travel grant by the Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung||for Humboldt Frontiers Meeting in India|
|DAAD travel grant||for JMRS conference in Kyoto|
|Emanuel-Goldberg-Preis||of the Technical University of Dresden awarded for the PhD thesis 2010|
|DAAD Fellowship||for a two year Post-Doc stay in Princeton, USA|
|Erasmus Fellowship||for one year studying abroad in Maynooth, Ireland|
Selected Publications (ResearchID: L-8402-2015)
Complete List of Publications and Presentations can be found here.
- Absolute energy level positions in tin and lead based halide perovskites
S. Tao, I. Schmidt, G. Brocks, J. Jiang, I. Tranca, K. Meerholz, and S. Olthof
ArXiv Preprint (2019) arXiv:1902.06646
- Planar Perovskite Solar Cells with High Open-Circuit Voltage Containing a Supramolecular Iron Complex as Hole Transport Material Dopant
Y. Saygili, S. Turren-Cruz, S. Olthof, B. Saes, I. Pehlivan, M. Saliba, K. Meerholz, T. Edvinsson, S. Zakeeruddin, M. Grätzel, J.P. Correa Baena, A. Hagfeldt, M. Freitag, and W. Tress
ChemPhysChem 19 (2018) 1363
- Suppressed decomposition of organometal halide perovskites by impermeable electron-extraction layers in inverted solar cells
K.O. Brinkmann, J. Zhao, N. Pourdavoud, T. Becker, T. Hu, S. Olthof, K. Meerholz, L.Hoffmann, T. Gahlmann, R. Heiderhoff, M.F. Oszajca, N.A. Luechinger, D. Rogalla, Y. Chen, B. Cheng, and T. Riedl, Nat. Commun. 8 (2017) 13938.
- Substrate-dependent electronic structure and film formation of MAPbI3 perovskites
S. Olthof, K. Meerholz, Sci. Rep. 7 (2017) 40267.
- Research Update: The electronic structure of hybrid perovskite layers and their energetic alignment in devices
S. Olthof, APL Mater. 4, 091502 (2016); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4960112
- Zero-dimensional (CH3NH3)3Bi2I9 perovskite for optoelectronic applications
S. Öz, J.-C. Hebig, E. Jung, T. Singh, A. Lepcha, S. Olthof, F. Jan, Y. Gao, R. German, P.H.M. van Loosdrecht, K. Meerholz, T. Kirchartz, and S. Mathur, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells (2016), DOI: 10.1016/j.solmat.2016.01.035
- Impact of Film Stoichiometry on the Ionization Energy and Electronic Structure of CH3NH3PbI3 Perovskite
J. Emara, T. Schnier, N. Pourdavoud, T. Riedl, K. Meerholz, and S. Olthof. Advanced Materials 28 (2016) 553.
- Impact of mesoscale order on open-circuit voltage in organic solar cells
C. Poelking, M. Tietze, C. Elschner, S. Olthof, D. Hertel, B. Baumeier, F. Würthner, K. Meerholz, K. Leo, D. Andrienko. Nature Materials 14 (2015) 434.
- Correlation of open-circuit voltage and energy levels in zinc-phthalocyanine: C60 bulk heterojunction solar cells with varied mixing ratio. M. L. Tietze, W. Tress, S. Pfützner, C. Schünemann, L. Burtone, M. Riede, K. Leo, K. Vandewal, S. Olthof, P. Schulz, and A. Kahn. Physical Review B 88 (2013) 085119.
- Mechanistic Study on the Solution-Phase n-Doping of 1,3-Dimethyl-2-aryl-2,3-dihydro-1H-benzoimidazole Derivatives. D. Naab, S. Guo, S. Olthof, E. G. B. Evans, P. Wei, G. L. Millhauser, A. Kahn, S. Barlow, S. R. Marder, and Z. Bao. Journal of the American Chemical Society 135 (2013) 15018.
- Passivation of trap states in unpurified and purified C60 and the influence on organic field-effect transistor performance. S. Olthof, S. Singh, S. K. Mohapatra, S. Barlow, S. R. Marder, B. Kippelen, and A. Kahn. Applied Physics Letters 101 (2012) 253303.
- Ultralow Doping in Organic Semiconductors: Evidence of Trap Filling. S. Olthof, S. Mehraeen, Swagat K. Mohapatra, Stephen Barlow, V. Coropceanu, J.-L. Bredas, S. R. Marder, and A. Kahn. Physical Review Letters, 109 (2012) 176601.
- Photoelectron spectroscopy investigations of recombination contacts for tandem organic solar cells. S. Olthof, R. Timmreck, M. Riede, and K. Leo. Applied Physics Letters, 110 (2012) 113302.
- Investigation of C60F36 as non-volatile p-dopant in organic optoelectronic devices. R. Meerheim, S. Olthof, M. Hermenau, S. Scholz, A. Petrich, N. Tessler, O. Solomeshch, B. Lussem, M. Riede, and K. Leo. Journal of Applied Physics, 109 (2011) 103102.
- Highly doped layers as efficient electron-hole conversion contacts for tandem organic solar cells. R. Timmreck, S. Olthof, M. K. Riede, and K. Leo. Journal of Applied Physics 108 (2010) 033108.
- Energy level alignment at the interfaces in a multilayer organic light-emitting diode structure. S. Olthof, R. Meerheim, M. Schober, and K. Leo. Physical Review B 79 (2009) 245308.
- Photoelectron spectroscopy study of systematic varied doping concentrations in an organic semiconductor layer using a molecular p-dopant. S. Olthof, W. Tress, R. Meerheim, B. Lüssem, and K. Leo. Journal of Applied Physics 106 (2009) 03711.
- Origin of open circuit voltage in planar and bulk heterojunction organic thin-film photovoltaics depending on doped transport layers. C. Uhrich, D. Wynands, S. Olthof, M. Riede, K. Leo, S. Sonntag, B. Maennig, and M. Pfeiffer. Journal of Applied Physics 104 (2008) 043107.
- Verfahren zur Herstellung von Fulleren-Derivaten. Patent no. DE102010046040 A1 (2012)
- Organische Solarzelle, Patent no. DE102011013897 A1 (2012)